Google Insights for Search is a great resource to analyze search terms within the Google network within a specified period of time, industry and geographic location.
Results can be used to view the relative volume of search terms, seasonality involved and raising search terms within your industry.
For the example below let us assume you are a designer plumbing e-retailer in the United States:
Learn your industry’s seasonality:
Within the search terms we placed “sink faucets” and select the United States and 2004 – Present as the filters for search.
From the results graph you can clearly see the industry’s seasonality for search (on this example clearly your peak is January). Knowing your industry’s seasonality will allow you to better prepare your business accordingly, including inventory planning and special advertising promotions.
Find the “rising stars” in your industry
By examining the rising searches you can find new products/brands to add to your inventory.
Fluctuation of opening rates for promotional emails are enormous: The best mailing generated an opening rate of 92%, the worst just 4%. The average was 34%.
So when should you send your email promotion and what can do to make sure it gets read:
Email sending time & season:
- The best sending date is Monday evening, compared with the worst time, Thursday afternoon.
- For the daytime in general, the marginal time of the day will lead to significantly higher opening rates.
- There are seasonal variations: mailings towards the end of year (November and December) are much less likely to be opened compared to the beginning of the year (January, February). Generally in the months with fewer email marketing activities (for example: summer months) high rates are achieved.
Email subject line:
- There is a clear and high correlation between the length of a subject line and the opening rate of the business emails: The shorter the subject line, the higher the opening rate.
- Factual subject lines have a significantly (+28%) higher chance to be opened, compared to promotional subject lines.
- Personalized subject lines achieve a 64% higher rate than un-personalized subject lines.